The first nine show cases contain the instruments of veterinary science and illustrate their development. This part involves 200 years, up to the first third of this century. A wide range of instruments made of wood, metal or leather in the 17-18th centuries as well as of those meeting the hygienic requirements of the 20th century can be seen in show cases. The training of horse-smiths having run parallel to veterinary education as well as the history of horse-shoes can be followed in one of the show cases.
The second part of the collection deals with the history of the university and veterinary education, respectively. As an introduction to the history you can see the establishing decree of the Institute, at that time a department of the Medical Faculty of the Pest University from the year of 1787. The stages of development can be followed from the very beginning up to 1962 when the institute became an independent university. The exhibition presents the history of the university trough life works of its outstanding professors. Beside the books and inauguration address of Sándor TOLNAY, the founder of the school, you can see the Inventarium (inventory) of the time. Almost all of the books registered in it can be found in the Magyary-Kossa Special Collection of Old Books. The series of prescriptions by professor József HOFFNER, the successor of Tolnay, may attract interest. Vilmos ZLAMÁL's name is associated with the successful fight against the Eastern cattle plague. The "cattle plague map" by Zlamál is a precious item of the collection. It was Lajos THANHOFFER, the Hungarian pioneer of histology, who wrote the first hundred years' history of the school and introduced Hungarian as official teaching language in 1872. Professor Béla TORMAY was an outstanding scientist of animal breeding. The erection of the new campus for the institute took place in the period of his directorship. The campus was designed by Imre STEINDL, who designed the Hungarian Parliament. Prof. Ákos AZARY opened a new era in the teaching of pathology during his short activity at the institute. Béla NÁDASKAY committed himself to anatomy, but it was also him, who established the first periodical of veterinarians, entitled "Veterinarius" in 1878. Prof. Ágoston ZIMMERMANN was also an anatomist. Beside his many sided activities as a professor, he published a lot. The memory of Ferenc HUTYRA is kept by several translations of his books on internal medicine, pathology and epidemiology. During the long period of his directorship, the institute developed to academic level and the education reached the international standard. Béla PLÓSZ, Ferenc VARGA, Mihály BERRÁR were surgeons, István RÁTZ was an anatomist, Ferenc TANGL went in for physiology, Oszkár WELLMANN worked in animal breeding, Henrik HETZEL was an obstetrician and Károly JÁRMAI acted in the field of pathological anatomy, all of them were distinguished professors of Hungarian veterinary training. József MAREK, professor of internal medicine, became world famous through Marek's disease, named after him. The book written by him and Prof. Hutyra was translated into 11 languages. His successor at the department, Prof. János MÓCSY was also a famous expert of internal medicine. The name of Aladár AUJESZKY had become well-known for his discovery of pseudolyssa, called Aujeszky disease today. Prof. Rezső MANNINGER was the author of many books. His works were translated into several languages. His international fame is indicated by the autographs of famous people in the guest book used at his chair. Sándor KOTLÁN's name was registered in the science of parasitology, but at the university he is also respected as the author of the history of the institute. For a while he acted as the head of the library and as an editor of the institute's publications. One show-case deals with the works of Prof. Kotlán as well as with the first library catalogue of scientific claim and with the bibliography of the Hungarian veterinary science compiled by Gyula MAGYARY-KOSSA. He was a pharmacologist, that is why a small pharmacy museum is devoted to his memory in two show cases. The last show case, introducing the history of the institute, discloses a very interesting and complete collection of instruments used by a veterinarian in the first half of the 20th century. It is the legacy of László Botskor.
The third part of the collection contains animal models of high artistic value created by the sculptor, György VASTAGH, Jr. originally for the purposes of demonstration at the end of the 19th century. György Vastagh studied anatomy at the Academy of Veterinary Science. From the complete collection of animal models the institute brought about fifty pieces at the start of the century. All the models were shaped after individual animals. On the walls of show-cases containing the animal models some contemporary photos complete the knowledge.
The photos on the walls give interesting information on the old building, sites and life of the institute. In the centre of the exhibition hall the so-called United Arms of Nation of Hungary from 1882 can be seen. Under the show-cases the archives of 200 years of the University are filed. In 1985 a repertory was compiled to this rich source material to aid research.